A Bit(e) Overdue...

Okay okay. So I fell behind on the blog front last week (but my baking was still intact!), shame on me...

To quickly recap last week's activities: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows made a second appearance into the tummies of my vegan hubs and colleagues. Needless to say, their presence was slightly overshadowed by this little beauty:


Brownie base. Cheesecake middle. Fresh Raspberry whipped topping. Courtesy of the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (p 104). Let's let the pictures do the talkin...


The recipe makes enough for a 13x9 pan...plus enough to make a small batch of fluffy brownies w/ a thin cheesecake glaze (which I ate within the first five minutes of pulling them out of the oven)!


After refrigerating overnight (a must for the freshly whipped topping!) I divvied up this beautiful light pink desert for two day's worth of treats for my co-workers (who have now expressed their concern on days I don't bring goodies in for them...perhaps I should start up a baking fund...)

Verdict: One taster called this dish 'orgasmic' which a new one for me. It's a shame I didn't leave this one for Valentines Day. The trio of colours parallels the trio of textures: The pink raspberry whip has a wonderful ice cream-like texture, the white cheesecake is creamy & smooth, while the brownie base is fluffy & moist. A surprisingly easy item to make (but maybe I shouldn't disclose that).

Which brings me to this week...

Recipe One: Peanut Butter Hash Cookies (as in hash key, not naughty hash)

These cookies remind me of childhood bake sales - Stacks of five sitting mid table in their plastic wrapping and colourful ribbon ties. I thought I'd try my hand at an old fave (altering the recipe to make them vegan):

- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (I used veg oil instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix wet contents in one bowl and dry in another. Then combine the two and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Roll the dough into small balls and place them onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Use a fork to make the hashkey pattern/flatten the cookie slightly. And toss in the oven at 200degrees for 10 min.


Verdict: Patience is needed with this mixture (which comes out quite pebbly), but this is made up for in taste. Mum-in-law approved. I smell a bake sale approaching.

Recipe Two: Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. Courtesy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (p.89)

Not too long ago, a friend of mine introduced me to the wonderful world of chocolate laced with chilli. Having always been a fan of the classic Snickerdoodle, I thought this recipe captured a wonderful take on the two.


Verdict: This chocolate biscuit is rolled in cinnamon sugar and packs a kiss of cayenne. The combination of sweet and hot is truly a thing of wonderment (I've already eaten three!) I will be popping these onto Emma's desk for a lovely Monday surprise.

Until next time...

Hearts

Comments

  1. It mine and Jords birthday end of Feb......birthday cake me thinks. I'll pay for the ingredients if you do the bakin! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. better then sex ....maybe better then x-factor, think I'll need another taste before I decide, ask me again next monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma is loving the Monday surprise!! the combo of choc and spicy are my absolute fave! thanks lady, you made my day x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts