Limbo & Biscuits

Finding ways to keep myself occupied whilst in the limbo of the first weeks of maternity leave. Following on from my last post, we’ve managed to update spare oom with some wonderfully 70s pieces and a lick of paint on the fence. Ornamental grasses and echinacea sit in wait of being planted due to my ever-inflating sausage fingers. 

We’ve spent the weekend trying to walk this little guy out. Some women walk ten minutes and can’t hold their little bundles in. Me? I go 5 miles through steep urban hills, park lands and markets without a tingle! Upping the raspberry leaf tea, pineapple and Mexican intake. We’ve made a 9 month pact that we’d get to meet little man on Wednesday, lets stick to that pact. Yeah? Yeah.












This morning I had an intense craving to bake something from home. So I stepped back into the kitchen for a turn at fluffy buttermilk biscuits (guided by this recipe).  

2c all purpose flour
1tbsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1/4tsp baking soda
6 tbsp butter
1c buttermilk*

In a large mixing bowl sift together your flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Use your hands to crumble in the butter until the mixture is fine and pebbley. Use a wooden spoon to mix in the buttermilk until everything is well combined.

Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a rectangular shape approximately 1inch thick. Cut into eight small squares.

Place the squares onto a greased baking tray and pop into a preheated oven at 180C for approximately 10-12 minutes - when they are a deliciously golden brown colour.


*I made my own buttermilk by heating up 1tbsp butter in the microwave. I then placed the melted butter into a measuring cup, filled to level with soya milk, and mixed.

I’m not sure if it was the biscuits, or the fact that Otis Redding has popped onto spotify, but little man is happily dancing in my belly now…please dance out of my belly now. 

Comments

Popular Posts