herby chicken and mushrooms

Mushrooms. Every sense of the word makes me cringe. So imagine my surprise when lurking the endless recipes on pinterest when I fell upon this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens and thought I’d give it a try. (I fully blame little buddy).


The end results were enough for me to adjust my vision of mushrooms ever so slightly. It was delish!

4 chicken breasts
1tbsp olive oil
1/4tsp sea salt
1/8tsp black pepper
1.5c chicken broth
2tbsp dijon mustard
2tbsp fresh rosemary*
2tbsp fresh thyme*
8oz assorted button mushrooms (sliced)
1tbsp flour
1tbsp fresh parsley*

*all herbs freshly picked from our garden, or ‘spare oom’ as I dubbed it over the spring. Whether in your garden or on your window sill, I definitely recommend planting some herbs for your culinary excursions. 

Season the chicken with olive oil, half the rosemary & thyme, sea salt & black pepper, then transfer the breasts onto a skillet over medium heat. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes until browned on one side. Flip the chicken and brown the other side. Transfer the skillet into a preheated 180C oven until thoroughly cooked.


Whilst the chicken is cooking, in a separate pan over medium heat add your broth, dijon mustard, flour, and your remaining rosemary & thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring to ensure there are no lumps of flour in the sauce. Leave to simmer.

As a non-fan of chewy/slimy mushrooms, I find that adding the sliced mushrooms to the broth mixture a few minutes before serving ensures their tasty, fresh texture is kept.


Remove the fully cooked chicken from the oven and pour the broth mixture (with the mushrooms) into the skillet covering the chicken entirely. Listen to that sizzle!


Serve over cous cous and garnish with fresh parsley.


Enjoy!xx

Comments

Popular Posts