Ten essentials for the novice runner who signed up for a marathon on a whim.

Last April I was inspired to start running after I'd watched in awe as thousands of people ran the marathon through our London streets. What I'd noticed was the fact that not everyone running on that day looked to be your typical athletic runner. Far from it, to be honest.

There I was, wearing Baxter over my flabby post-baby belly, cheering on as seemingly unfit men and women slowly walk-jogged past me. The difference between us: they were walk-jogging a FULL MARATHON. What had I done since giving birth? A few stretches here and there. A wander around the zoo. But nothing to get me back into my pre babe shape. 

I went home that day entirely inspired from the scene. That week I signed up for my first marathon. Time to get some gear!

Whether your goal is to run for five minutes or run a marathon, here are my top ten essentials for the novice runner:

1. Breathable Vest to help cool you down on those long runs. Even in the coldest weather, you'll be sweaty in no time!

2. Quick dry leggings (preferably with a hidden pocket for your phone/keys. I love wearing a crazy pattern and these solar system ones remind me of Bax (hidden motivation ya'll!)! 

3. Every wonder woman needs a great high impact sports bra! Victoria's Secret does some amazing bras for us larger gals. 

4. Supportive running socks. Ain't nobody got time for blisters. 

5. Running shoes! These babies are not meant to be pretty, if it means your feet will remain healthy and happy. Beginner runners, I cannot express the importance of getting your gait tested - your local running store should provide this service (I used Runners Need).
I LOVE my rather ugly Saucony's Triumphs - they are like pillows on my wide, cranky feet! But if you're lucky and can wear anything these emerald Adidas Ultraboosts are gorgeous.

6. & 7. Runkeeper tracks all your runs with GPS, your comments and images via your phone or apple watch. Check out the Boston announcer - he and his promise of donuts keep me going.

8. & 9. A running belt to store your phone, keys and sweeties in (if your leggings don't have a pocket). You'll thank the gods for being hands free on those longer runs. And you'll thank them even more for having sweeties you can pop for a little sugar boost! Fuelled by Maoam!

10. Lightweight wireless over ear headphones. Because let's face it, those little apple buggers fit in no man's ears.

Happy running!

Comments

Popular Posts