Currently

Harry Potter Tour:

These babies came in the post today. Watch this spot.

secrets will be revealed

Rolled Denim & Hair Kerchiefs:

While talking on Skype with the pops, he poked fun at today's attire saying that I could be an extra in a Dexys Midnight Runners video. I guess he's right…though I was really goin for 1950's house cleaner. (Raises fists into air pumping them in unison.) 



Crumbly Goodness:

Admittedly, I'm a blueberry muffin addict. Every Tuesday & Thursday morning I find myself at costa coffee purchasing one of those crumble topped bad boys and side it with a medium caramel latte (another addiction I unashamedly have). It's on these days I walk a bit faster to work just so I can peel off that brown paper packaging and pop that first bite into my mouth. 

On a mission to find the perfect crumble topping I stumbled upon this recipe, which I've adapted below to double the batch!


phwoar

Muffins:
3c all purpose flour
1c caster sugar
1tsp salt
3tsp baking powder
1/2c vegetable oil
2 eggs
2/3c milk 
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 cups fresh blueberries

Topping:
1/2c caster sugar
1/3c all purpose flour
1/4c melted butter
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

For the muffins:
In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, salt & baking powder. Next use a hand held mixer (or your trusty kitchenaid) to blend in the vegetable oil, eggs, milk & lemon juice. Lastly, fold in the blueberries.

Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers and spoon the batter into each until 2/3rds full. Set aside. (The mixture makes approx 14 muffins)

For the crumble topping:
Pop the butter in the microwave until melted (This only takes 15 seconds or so. If it's in there too long, you might just have to clean up a bubbly butter explosion!). Use a fork to blend in the sugar, flour and cinnamon until the mixture becomes pebbly. Then use your fingers to crumble the topping over your muffin batter.

Pop those bad boys into the oven at 180C for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Verdict: I have fallen victim to some very stodgy muffins before, but these turn out extremely light and airy. In contrast, the crumble gives it just the right amount of crunch.The spiciness of the cinnamon mixes really well with the tartness of the blueberries. 

I brought the entire batch (aside from the two mr. bluebirdcage snuck in the night) into work and they were gone in minutes. I'll definitely be baking these again.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts